Thursday, October 18, 2007

Great Harvest Breakfast Casserole

I made this the other day and loved it. Chris couldn't get over the 'soggy bread' thoughts he had in his head, but still ate it. The sauce (stolen from the Apple Pudding Cake) makes it especially scrumptious.

Ingredients:
1 loaf of Great Harvest bread cut into 1" cubes (I think any bread would do, but man I love Great Harvest)
8 eggs
3 c. milk
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (I used 2-3 tsp., YUM)
3/4 tsp. salt

Topping:
2 Tbsp. butter (cubed)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Sauce:
1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. whipping cream (not whipped)

Directions:
Place bread cubes in a greased 13 X 9 baking dish. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover & refrigerate for 8 hours or over night. Remove from refrigerator 30 min before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top. Cover and bake @ 350 for 45-50 min or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. While baking, melt the butter and brown sugar together. Add the cream, and stir together until well mixed (this may take a while). When the casserole is done, remove from oven (duh) and let sit for 5 min. Serve warm with lots o' sauce.

Number Of Servings: 12

Preparation Time: 10 min. prep./overnight chillin'/45 min. baking

1 comment:

Katie said...

I made something similar to this the other morning. I used the whole wheat bread recipe I posted and it was yummy! I didn't make a sauce, we just used maple syrup. I have also had it more savory without the sugars and vanilla but with sausage and veggies. Yummy both ways.