Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Veggie Beef Barley Soup

A dish with lot of veggies was requested and I have wanted to post this anyway. Yummy, healthy soup that is great for cold days! The amounts are all approximations/ guesses. Sorry it is an odd recipe format. Make it according to your taste!


This is what I made the other night. I used a medium/ large pot and it made about 6 servings.



Ingredients:
About 1/2 c. dry barley (or rice if you prefer)
1/2-1 lb. ground beef (optional)
1 can beef broth
1-2 cans (or more) water
1-2 carrots, chopped
2 med. potatoes, diced
Zucchini
Yellow squash
1 can tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen corn (or corn cut off the cob is delicious!!)
Chopped onion
Basil to taste
Thyme to taste
Salt/ Pepper to taste

First, cook some barley according to directions. I cooked about 1/2 c. of barley in 1 1/2 c. water. This takes awhile- about 45 min. for me.

Brown beef in a med./ large pot. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and potatoes are soft. Add barley when the barley is soft and cooked. Serve with bread. I will also brown the meat and stick it in a crock pot, add all other ingredients and leave on high for a couple hours. Yummy!

2 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

Thanks for this--I've been looking for something to use my barley!

Alicia said...

No prob- I liked this recipe so I could use things I don't normally buy- like barley. I'd never used it before.