Thursday, October 25, 2007

Short Cut Carmels

1 C butter (no substitutions!)
2 1/4 C packed brown sugar
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 C light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla (use the good stuff)

line a 8x8 baking pan with foil (I skip this and just butter the pan really well). Butter foil, set aside. In a heavy 3 qt saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, milk and corn syrup. mix well. Cook and stir over medium high heat to boiling. Cook to 248 or the firm ball stage. (15-20 min. this is the shortcut part. Normal carmels take about 60 min. at this point). Remove the saucepan from the heat and remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. immediately pour into prepared pan. When carmel is firm, remove from pan and using a buttered knife cut into 1" squares. wrap in waxed paper or dip in chocolate

2 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

This looks AMAZING.

Amelia said...

I have to limit myself to making these only for Christmas and then I have to limit how many batches I make because I tend to eat some every time I walk past the kitchen. These are sooo good.