Saturday, September 22, 2007

Tofu 101: Creamy Tofu Salad Sandwich

My easiest protein-rich tofu recipe. Maybe if you tell your husband it's egg salad sandwich, he'll believe you? I'm actually eating this as I write this post :)

1 pkg. firm tofu (NOT pre-frozen!)
1/2 c. light mayo (or less)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. mustard
2 ribs chopped celery
1/4 c. chives (? I've never added this)
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper

Mash the tofu with a fork. Place it in a colander and let it drain for 15 minutes. Then place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir well, and serve on pitas, whole-wheat bread or wasa crackers.

(Possible substitution: If you don't have celery on hand, you can use canned corn--my husband and I always put corn in tuna sandwiches, a trick we learned in Brazil--if you like corn as much as I do. Which you might not. I don't know.)

2 comments:

Chris J. said...

Thanks for keeping your promise of adding more corn to the blog.

Alicia said...

I had something like this for lunch growing up. They were pretty good sandwiches although I got really weird comments from my friends at school. :)