Saturday, September 22, 2007

Here Comes the Soy! (Intro)

All right, you asked for tofu (at least 3 of you did)...you get tofu! Sorry in advance; the fact is I'm a TRUE believer in soy and I'm always on the lookout for converts. I'm going to put a few recipes up but let me give you a couple of pieces of advice for working with tofu in case you never have.

1) Tofu becomes easier to work with and firmer if you freeze it before cooking it. Place a block of firm tofu in a large Ziploc bag and leave it in the freezer for a couple of hours. After it's frozen you can squeeze out the water before you cut it into pieces, or just squeeze it out as you crumble it with your hands (depending on the recipe). When I refer to "pre-frozen tofu," this is what I mean.

2) I know husbands are resistant to tofu, but it's possible to get them to like it...my husband is like 90 percent converted :) Since tofu tastes like whatever you season it with, it is a really easy food to get creative with. Try marinating it with your husband's favorite sauces and flavors, slipping it into casseroles as a meat substitute, or blending silken tofu with smoothies or desserts. I hope you get a chance to use one of these recipes!

3 comments:

Chris J. said...

Missy- a tofu smoothie? You have to be kidding me. I'm worried about your marriage. All of this subterfuge can't be healthy. Do you also backmask hints to do the dishes and take out the trash in the music on your husband's ipod?

Abbie said...

thank you so much! we love tofu! these are great recipes.

Katie said...

I have never as of yet tried tofu, but have been researching the benefits of soy and hormones (mother of 4 girls-thank you very much) So I am so excited to try some of these yummy recipes.