Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Slow-Cooker Pumpkin-Apple Dessert

This is from Betty Crocker, hence the request for a brand of flour.

1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
3/4 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Ice cream, if desired


1 . Spray 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spoon pie filling into cooker; spread evenly.
2 . Beat remaining ingredients except ice cream with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pie filling.
3 . Cover and cook on High heat setting 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream.
Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I've made this before, so I'll add my two cents. I would definitely use 2 cans of pie filling. One was simply not enough. Also, I don't like buying ingredients that I don't normally use, like egg product, so I just measured eggs to 3/4 c. (I think I used 4? Not sure), and it turned out just fine. I don't think there would be a difference in taste or texture. Overall good dessert, but I'd also plan on having people to help you eat it, because it was too much for my husband and I to get through and we ended up throwing away the leftovers after they sat in our fridge for way to long.