Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Microwave Peanut Brittle

This is Katie's recipe.

1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a microwave bowl cook 8 minutes on high, stirring 2-3 times during. (Watch carefully. I burned this once and it was a pain to clean up.)

add 1 Tablespoon butter

Cook 3 minutes on high

add 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

Put into buttered pan right after adding soda. Do not spread with a spoon.

Disclaimer: I've only made this twice with two different microwaves. The second time was when I burned it (I haven't been brave enough to try it again). Microwaves cook differently so watch it.


Katie said...

Here is the key to not burning the brittle, the 8 min is a maximum amount of time. When the sugar mixture starts to brown, you are done. You don't have to cook it for the whole 8 minutes. You can also adjust the power level of your microwave. You do need to stir every couple of minutes or you will have a majorly carmelized mess. (If you do burn it just soak your dish in HOT soapy water and it will disolve) Add the vanilla, careful, it pops. Then the baking soda, stir QUICKLY. the soda is what makes it a little poofy, too much stirring makes it fall. Have a cookie sheet generously greased and pour the hot candy onto it. You DO have to spread it a bit with a spoon (I use a silicone one) but you have to do it quickly or you will tear the candy. I use a heavy glass dish to cook the candy so it doesn't melt in the microwave. Don't touch the candy with bare hands, it will melt your skin! This really is very very very simple. A great beginner candy.

Vicky said...

This recipe seems similar to one that I have for microwave caramel corn. My advice when microwaving syrupy-sugary goodness: use a glass bowl. I once used a supposedly-microwave-safe plastic one, and the syrup mixture got so hot (sugary things just do that, I think) that the bowl totally melted in the microwave!

Another tip: if you melt a plastic bowl in the microwave, throw it away and then wipe down your microwave with vinegar. The vinegar only smells for a little while, and it absorbs the nasty burned-plastic (and probably any other) smell.