Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Virgin Mint Julep

My sister in-law, Shara, gave me her AMAZING recipe for this drink. And not only is she a real born-and-bred Southern girl, but she's also a KENTUCKY girl--so she knows her mint juleps. I personally tasted this when I was down there two weeks ago, and I can attest: it'll brighten up ANY party!

Virgin Mint Julep

4-5 mint sprigs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cold water
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 qt ginger ale
Thinly-sliced lemon slices (for garnish)

Rinse the mint and discard the stems. Place sugar, water lemon juice, pineapple juice in a medium-sized bowl, mix, and stir in the mint leaves. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.

Fill a large pitcher with ice cubes. Strain the liquid over the ice. Add the ginger ale and lemon slices and serve. Definitely a Southern party favorite! Thanks, Shara!

2 comments:

Yarn Magpie said...

Tried this out at a Baby Shower. I only made one batch, but probably should have doubled it because it went over so well! Instead of discarded the stems, I just made slits in each leaf and put the whole thing in - this makes it easier to remove without having to strain - or you could leave them in for fun (people at the party seemed to like that). Thanks for sharing the receipt!

"M" Clan said...

Oh my goodness, i was so thrilled to find your recipe for my grandfather's 84th birthday party that was derby themed and had guests from 1-90, VIRGIN was the key! It was a huge hit, thank you so much!