Saturday, December 12, 2009

Chicken Tikka Masala

I'm not sure if I already posted this recipe but I couldn't find it on here. Anyhow, one of my most favorite recipes ever. This is as close as I have found to the Bombay House in Provo. Watch the spiciness! I'd leave out the cayenne and paprika and jalapeƱo until you've tried it once... then add it if you want it spicier.

Chicken Tikka Masala

1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (you can substitute paprika for the cayenne so it isn't too hot)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (I have used powdered too)
1 teaspoon salt
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients except chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and refrigerate for one hour. Grill or cook chicken in frying pan. Discard marinade

I double the sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped (I de-seed it)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 cup cream (1 ¾ cup when doubled)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
sometimes I add some garam masala spice


Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for one minute. Season with cumin, paprika and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve over hot rice.



No comments: