Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Applesauce-Bran Muffins

1 1/4 c. flour
1 c. bran
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 egg
1/2 c. raisins (or more, or optional)

Mix together the applesauce, milk, oil, and egg. Add the flour, bran, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Fold in raisins. Use an ice cream scoop to place scoops of the mixture into a muffin tin that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray (or lined with paper liners). Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes.

(Note: I like to add little "extras" to these muffins to give them some extra nutritional punch. I usually add 3 T. flaxseed to the mixture (or 3 T. wheat germ). Sometimes I use half regular flour and half whole-wheat flour. I have learned, though, that if I increase the amount of "roughage" I need to also add some extra applesauce to keep the mixture from getting too dense and dry.)

No comments: